The ALS Association Massachusetts Chapter
Our Chapter offers a full range of services to guide and assist you as you learn more about ALS. Here you will find pertinent information for patients, caregivers, family members, friends and healthcare workers. Our staff is here Monday through Friday to answer any questions you may have. Please don't hesitate to call or e-mail us for more information click here
Care Services are provided by professional Care Coordinators, who provide information, support, and referrals to community resources. The Chapter does not provide direct “hands on” care, but does offer education to Visiting Nurses Associations, and Hospice Agencies which may be directly involved in care for a person with ALS. Care Coordinators work closely with the family, and their medical team to coordinate care and identify resources.
Current Care Services Programs:
- Home Visits - your Care Coordinator will visit you at your home to get to know you and discuss your questions regarding Chapter programs, ALS Clinics, planning, insurance, resources, disease management and home accessibility.
- Support Groups - The Chapter offers support and education to ALS patients and their caregivers through professionally facilitated support groups. Please contact the Chapter office for the most recent list of support groups and their locations.
- Social Work Consultation A licensed Social Worker is available to provide information regarding Massachusetts Health Care insurance plans, Medicare and SSDI and to connect you to community resources, and health care options.
- Durable Medical Equipment Loan closet - Loans of medical equipment to assist in mobility, communication, and activities of daily living. Care Coordinators work closely with ALS specialists or therapists to determine the most appropriate item to provide on a loan basis from the lending closet of donated medical equipment.
- Education - Annual Symposium for professionals and ALS families; and educational in-services are provided to nursing homes, visiting nurses associations, hospice agencies, and community organizations.
- The Curt & Shonda Shilling ALS Clinic - A certified ALS Multidisciplinary Clinic is held twice each month at the Lahey Clinic in Burlington, MA.
In you have any questions regarding our local services, please contact:
CARE SERVICES STAFF, BY COUNTIES
Jan Obermann - firstname.lastname@example.org, 781-255-8884, ext. 240
Bridget Thornton - email@example.com, 781-255-8884, ext. 239
Remember that our skilled staff of social workers is here to support you and your family every step of the way. The ALS Association Massachusetts Chapter: Providing care today. Supporting hope for tomorrow.